KABUL, Afghanistan — Armed attackers on Wednesday set off a car bomb and penetrated Bagram Air Base, the largest United States military base in Afghanistan, killing at least one person and wounding at least 60, officials said.
The attack on the base — which President Trump had recently visited — came as peace talks resumed between American officials and Taliban representatives in Doha, Qatar’s capital.
A vehicle laden with explosives targeted the southern part of the base, the site of a medical facility that was under construction. Several attackers then entered the base, engaging in a firefight with Afghan and coalition forces. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack on the base, which is north of Kabul, the capital.
Col. Sonny Leggett, a spokesman for the American-led NATO mission in Afghanistan, said that the medical facility was being built to help people who live near the base, and that it was the target of the attackers.
“The attack was quickly contained and repelled by our Afghan National Defense Security Forces and coalition partners, but the future medical facility was badly damaged,” Colonel Leggett said. “There were no U.S. or coalition casualties and Bagram remained secure throughout the attack.”
While the United States military said that the attack had been repelled, some local officials said that several militants were still holed up inside the medical facility hours later.
Abdul Shukur, the governor of Bagram district, said that at least 60 civilians were wounded by the car bomb and a woman was killed. “We don’t know about the military casualties,” he said.
Talks between Zalmay Khalilzad, the chief American peace envoy, and Taliban negotiators have been underway in recent days in Doha after they were restarted by Mr. Trump in November. Officials say that both sides are talking about ways to decrease of violence, reach a possible cease-fire and pave the way for talks between the Taliban and the Afghan government.
Mujib Mashal contributed reporting from Kandahar, Afghanistan.