Advert






Updated









One of three Streatham attack victims in ‘life-threatening’ condition, Scotland Yard says

Updated





At least three people injured in terror attack

Updated





Updated





Updated





Updated





Updated





Updated





Sunday’s attack is the second since the UK’s terrorism threat level was reduced in November 2019.

The Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre downgraded the threat from severe, where it had been since 2014, to substantial, meaning a terrorist attack is assessed as being likely.

The first attack, weeks after the terror threat was downgraded, was at London Bridge when two people died and an attacker wearing a fake suicide bomb belt was shot dead.

The second was today in Streatham.

Since 2017, police and MI5 have disrupted 25 further plots, the majority of those linked to Islamist ideology, but are also seeing more threat from extreme right groups.

Counter-terrorism policing in the UK is currently conducting 800 investigations linked to violent extremism, ranging from trying to stop atrocities to terrorist funding and propaganda.

The level of Islamist terrorist activity started to increase dramatically in 2016 and continued rising into 2017. Counter-terrorism officials say the rise of Isis and the high levels of propaganda they were pumping out was to blame.

Counter-terrorism officials said the high and enduring tempo of activity has lessened in 2019, as Isis waned, but that it was still higher than in 2015. Officials are aware that plots can proceed from planning to execution in a matter of days.

Counter-terrorism officials say 3,000 suspects are on their list of highest priorities at any one time.

Updated





At the northern end of the cordon on Streatham High Road, people are not being allowed into the area. A police officer said the cordon would remain “for a significant amount of time”, saying that “the area is still deemed too dangerous”.

People could still be seen inside the cordon shopping and in bars and cafes. Some locals were frustrated at being held outside the cordon, with some elderly residents of the area saying that they would not be able to walk around the diversion.

Police secure the area in Streatham after suspected terrorist was shot dead after a stabbing attack

Police secure the area in Streatham after a suspected terrorist was shot dead after a stabbing attack. Photograph: Jack Odell/AP

Updated





Updated





Updated





Police believe incident is over

Officers seen in video circulating on social media in plain clothes are believed to be surveillance officers who happened to be in the area, sources said.

The Met police believe the incident is over.

An investigation into the shooting is expected to be carried out by the Independent Office for Police Conduct. By law the investigation has to be carried out by the IOPC when police use lethal force and carried out independently.

Updated





One person believed to be seriously injured

At least two people have been injured and one of those is believed to be in a serious condition in hospital.

At this early stage of the investigation, the suspect is believed to have been motivated by an Islamist terrorist ideology.

The man shot dead by police was wearing a “fake suicide vest” made of objects designed to look like an improvised explosive device.

A similar vest was worn by attackers at London Bridge atrocity in 2017 and the later London Bridge attack in November 2019.

Updated





Source link

Advert